These preliminary questions are for Offenders considering VOD to reflect upon, as they (hopefully) begin to take responsibility for the choices they made to directly or indirectly cause harms to others.
- What are some of the circumstances and choices that led you to commit the crime you did?
- What did you find exciting or enjoyable about committing your crime, at the time? For example, drinking, drugs, the adrenaline rush, the sense of “power” or “invincibility,” etc.
- Have you thought at all about the victims or survivors in your crime, or anything you would want to be able to say to them?
- Have you thought at all about what the victims or survivors in your crime might want to say to you?
- What has been the hardest part for you about being incarcerated?
- What, if anything, has been “good” for you about being incarcerated?
- When you think about being released from prison, what might the hardest part be for you about that?